Physician Assistant Experience Requirement
Admissions committees expect you to have researched the PA profession and know some of the issues PAs currently face. Additionally, the admissions committee will want to know specifically why you are pursuing a career in the PA profession. Having a minimum number of direct patient contact hours is a requirement for all PA programs. In order to be a competitive applicant, schools look for approximately 4000 hours of Patient Care Experience (PCE)
- Conduct an informational interview, shadow or observe a PA.
- Search for PAs through PA related Professional Organizations such as the Physician Assistant Education Association (PAEA).
- Become involved in pre-health on-campus student organizations.
- Find healthcare related volunteer opportunities.
- Find a healthcare related Internship or Job or take additional vocational coursework to earn a certificate so you can work as a paraprofessional (i.e., Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Medical Assistant, or Phlebotomist) in a healthcare setting.