It is important to create a timeline for yourself when applying to nursing school but perhaps more importantly, your timeline should be flexible. Schools each have a different timeline, and may or may not participate in the NursingCAS
For specific application deadline dates and whether or not they participate in the NursingCAS, you should always check individual nursing school websites.
- Take prerequisite courses and meet with advisors.
- Begin researching the different types of nursing programs.
- Get involved in extracurricular activities to acquire the skills and experience, e.g., join a student org, volunteer, work, or research activities.
- Begin volunteering in various nursing settings to confirm your interest in nursing. Field experience is a requirement for many accelerated nursing programs.
- Prepare for and take the required entrance exam(s). Check the specific nursing school requirements for which exams are required..
- Gather Letters of Recommendation.
- Sign up with Interfolio (Dossier) to hold your letters of recommendation.
NursingCAS Online Application Systems
Each nursing school has specific application/deadline submission dates which are noted on individual websites. NursingCAS is a centralized application service that many nursing schools, but not all, are using. A current list of participating nursing schools is on the NursingCAS website. It is important for you to know the deadline dates for the schools/programs that you plan to apply for, as well as any requirements needed.